Friday, March 13, 2009

God's Providence

"The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst; I, the Lord, will answer them myself, As the God of Israel I will not forsake them. I will open the rivers on the bare heights and springs in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water and the dry land fountains of water."
Isaiah 41:17-18

This morning I had planned to read Isaiah 40 (an amazing chapter) but, by God's grace, I glanced over to the next page and read this passage. I've read this chapter several times, but this time, it jumped out at me. I love that.

This verse can be applied to most anything. Young women, such as myself, are thirsty for a beloved. A good and godly young man who loves the Lord as much as they do. So sometimes, we desire that, and look around to see that there is none. Just as the needy in this passage look around for water and see that there is none. But, because He can do anything, God CREATES the water where there was never water before! He opens rivers on the bare heights. Where people thought water would NEVER be, it was.

HE WILL PROVIDE!

Of course, there are many other applications to this section, but I chose this one because I've seen with my own eyes it come to pass.

My sister Erin has had a desire to be married her entire life. However, growing up in Utah where there were few Christians to be found and then moving to the middle of nowhere, where there were few people to be found, she had slim pickins'. If you want to hear her entire testimony, I'm sure she'd be glad to tell you herself. But in a nutshell, she took a ride on the wild side and came home with a souveneir, her son, Ethan. ;-)
Through much prayer, my dear sister came back to Jesus, her first love. She got her life back together and became a WONDERFUL example of Christ. I am so blessed to have her as a sister!

This didn't change the fact that she still wasn't married, and there weren't young men around who were her age and interested in starting a family. From a human's perspective, there was no beloved in sight.

God's perspective, of course, is much larger (thankfully!). Last fall my mom felt called to pray that Erin would be married by the summer of 2009. She asked me to pray also. Here's where things get complicated and SO God filled.
We have some friends, the Davis family, who had moved to Georgia in early 2008. Mrs. Davis has always keeping an eye out for any good catches for Erin, called around July or August telling Erin that she had a man for her. (I'm not sure of all the dates and details so you'd have to ask Erin for sure) She gave the guy Erin's email address and the two (Erin and Dylan) started emailing each other back and forth. This man lived in Georgia and went to the same church as the Davis'. He had a 14 year old daughter and was a very strong Christian and godly man. As the two continued their contacts they realized how much they had in common and how exact their core beliefs were. Dylan asked Erin if he could give her a call. Then they started their phone call stage. OH was it a stage! haha. My family had a running joke, "Hey, where'd Erin go?" "Oh, she's on the PHONE?! what a surprise!" (note the sarcasm).
I think it was November or December that Dylan came up for his first visit. And it just went from there!

So to make a long story short, last Saturday, March 7, 2009, Erin and Dylan joined their hearts together in marriage!!! <3

God provided for Erin in His mysterious ways. And He can most definitely provide for you. Where Erin thought there was only dry and parched land, God opened the rivers and the waters of God's goodness flowed. PTL.

The Tuggle Family :)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

How incredible awesome and amazing is Jesus!! I loved loved reading that! Thanks Elisa! Congrats Erin.

Elisabeth said...

Well told!